Published Sept 16, 2020
This cauliflower pizza crust is a healthy veggie-packed recipe that is naturally gluten-free and lower in calories than a standard dough-based pizza. It’s perfect for people who still want to eat their pizza, while staying healthy or on a lower carbohydrate diet.
Cauliflower is a cruciferous vegetable that is rich in fibre and B-vitamins.
It provides antioxidants and phytonutrients that can protect against cancer. It also contains fibre to support weight loss and digestion, choline that is essential for learning and memory and many other important nutrients.
- 1 head cauliflower, roughly chopped
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 2 tablespoons Parmesan
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 2 cloves of garlic
- Salt and black pepper
- 1 clove of garlic
- A bunch of fresh basil
- Olive oil
- 1×400 g tin of plum tomatoes
- 80g mozzarella cheese
- Sauteed mushrooms
- Cherry tomatoes (halved)
- Basil leaves
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- To make the cauliflower crust, add cauliflower to the bowl of a food processor and pulse until finely ground like rice.
- Put cauliflower in a microwave-safe bowl. Cover loosely and place into microwave for 4 minutes or until softened, put aside to cool.
- Using a clean dish towel, drain cauliflower completely, removing as much water as possible.
- Transfer cauliflower to a large bowl. Stir in eggs, mozzarella, parmesan, chopped garlic and seasoning and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Spread cauliflower mixture into a flat, circular or rectangle shape on the prepared baking sheet. Drizzle a little olive oil and bake for up to15 minutes or until golden.
- For the sauce, finely chop the garlic and basil leaves and stalks.
- Heat a dash of olive oil in a pan on a medium-low heat, add the garlic and basil stalks, then cook gently for a couple of minutes. Add the basil leaves, the tomatoes, and a pinch of salt and pepper. Cook for a few minutes.
- Transfer mix to a blender and blend until the mix is fairly smooth.
- Once the base is ready take out of the over and spread the tomatoes sauce mixture on top. Top with the mozzarella chopped in to thin slices, the tomatoes and mushrooms. Put in the over for 10 minutes.
- Once ready sprinkle with some basil leaves and serve.